Sometimes you just need something delicious and indulgent for breakfast, I do too, but what I don’t want is to then eat something that will cause my body harm just to satisfy my cravings. I don’t want bloating or cramps or skin breakouts or crazy sugar highs, so I use all vegan and healthy ingredients to give the same effect and keeping my body happy at the same time.
Enter chocolate chip banana pancakes with a chocolate almond butter sauce. Decadent, delicious, and dangerously addictive. By using banana as a sweetener and binder, and raw cacao nibs as chocolate chips it keeps these pancakes fluffy and refined sugar-free!
Serves: 1, makes around 6 small pancakes
1 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
70g buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
150mL plant milk
1-2 tbsp cacao nibs
What to do:
- Mix together the flaxseed and water to make your egg replacement and set aside for 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile mix together the flour, baking powder, and cacao nibs in a bowl
- Mix/blend together (I use my vitamix cause I’m lazy) the banana and milk until reasonably smooth and add to the flour
- Add in the flaxseed egg when thick and gelatinous
- Heat a non-stick pan on low-medium heat with a little coconut oil and add 2 heaped tbsp of the pancake mixture
- When the top starts to bubble flip the pancake and cook for another minute or two on the other side
- Repeat this as long as you have mixture left! Tip: heat your oven to its lowest setting (<50 degrees) and store the finished pancakes in there to keep them warm
Mix together 1 heaped tbsp almond butter, 1 tsp raw cacao (or cocoa powder), and 1-2 tsp rice malt syrup (or other liquid sweetener of choice). If it won’t combine properly warm in the microwave for 10 seconds and keep stirring at regular intervals until ready to be used! This is probably the most delicious sauce I’ve ever tried with my pancakes and the perfect accompaniment to these particular ones as banana and almond butter are a match made in heaven, and the chocolate part perfectly compliments the more bitter cacao nibs in the pancake mixture!