Sometimes it’s the simplest meals that are the best, and it’s meals like these that I’m often reluctant to call “recipes” and post here because they really are so simple. It’s the reason why there aren’t many smoothie recipes on here. But nonetheless, when something tastes really good (and looks pretty damn good too) I can’t help but want to share it anyway – even if it does nothing more than plant an idea in your head for how to put veggies together on a plate in a new and tasty way!
Jacket potato was always a big hit when I was younger, mainly on those days where my mother couldn’t be bothered to cook something. I have nothing against white potatoes – chips anyone? – but sometimes the colour of the sweet potato just wins me over, like it did here. If you’re looking for an alternative to jacket potato with baked beans and cheese you’ve definitely come to the right place!
2 sweet potatoes
1 can black beans
80g rocket, or other leafy greens
100g cherry tomatoes
1 large avocado
Salt and pepper
Optional extra ideas: grated cheese, poached egg
What to do:
- Chop the ends off the sweet potato and stab a few times with a knife
- Either place in the microwave for 8-10 mins or in an oven at 180°C for around 30-40 mins
- In the meantime: chop the tomatoes, and drain and rinse the beans
- Either slice or mash the avocado, adding salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste
- Dress the rocket and tomatoes with a little olive oil
- When the sweet potatoes are ready, make an incision through the middle, push them open, and stuff with everything. I find rocket, then beans, tomatoes, and avocado last works best.