“What’s this?” I hear you cry. “Hasn’t pancake day just been?!” Why yes, yes it has. But these are rosti, and they’re savoury, and therefore different enough that I’ve decided it’s ok.
I created these completely on a whim, and my family fell in love with them straight away. To me sweet potato and avocado is a perfect match that can do no wrong, and this is no exception. You can replace the egg with a flax egg if you choose, but it will likely make it more delicate and breakable so flip very carefully.
I have an amazing non-stick pan that allows me to use minimal oil as nothing sticks to it whatsoever. Use the first pancake/rosti as a test run (the one that goes to the bottom of the pile) and adjust the amount of oil you need. Feel free to also change the toppings – this is just what I happen to love and think works really well.
This works brilliantly for brunch, and is dedicated to the savoury breakfast/brunch lovers out there.
Makes 3-4 patties
150g sweet potato
100g chopped onion
1 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Grate the sweet potato and chop the onion
- Lightly fry the sweet potato and onion in a little olive oil for 2-5 minutes, to remove some of the moisture (optional)
- Transfer back to a bowl, add the flour, and season with salt, pepper, and paprika. Add in the egg and mix.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan on low-medium heat. Add two tbsp of the mixture to the pan, shape into a circle, and fry on each side for a couple of minutes. Flip very carefully as they can fall apart!
- Top with guacamole, fresh tomato salsa, spring onion, and lime wedges