Am I the only one that thinks of the Pixar movie first, rather than the food, when someone says ratatouille? That was such an adorable movie! But I think it’s true that few things are as comforting as warm roasted vegetables.
The great thing about this dish is that you can serve it as a side, as a main, or in a giant Pixie Plate salad (I feel like I say that last one a lot haha). You’ve got so many types of vegetables, the protein from the chickpeas, and all the delicious mingling of tastes and textures from the roasting process. Definitely don’t be shy with the seasoning, you really want to bring out all the different flavours.
1 aubergine (~250g), cut into cubes
1 courgette (~200g), cut into cubes
1/2 white onion, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a large deep baking tray with foil
- Chop up the veggies, and add the aubergine, courgette, onion, peppers, and garlic to the tray
- Drizzle the whole thing generously with olive oil and season with salt, toss to make sure all the veggies are covered
- Roast in the oven for around 30 mins, then add the chopped tomatoes and mix it in
- Place the tray back in the oven for another 10 mins
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas, then add them to the veggies and place the tray back into the oven for another 5 mins
- Once the veggies are ready take them out of the oven, and into a serving bowl. Season generously with extra salt and pepper, and plenty of chopped fresh basil.