It took me 4 years of living in London to catch up with the brunch culture. No idea why, considering how much I love food! But I’m hooked now, and while I may not be going out for brunch every Sunday, I do make a point of cooking something extra special. When I’m in my London flat that usually means waffles!
This recipe makes 2 super soft waffles which are vegan, gluten-free, and have around 20g protein in them in total!
Serves: 1 or 2
50g buckwheat/gf/plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 heaped tbsp sweetener (I use stevia)
20g plain protein powder (vanilla would work well too)
150-200mL almond milk
1 egg equivalent (4 tbsp aquafaba/2 tbsp chia seeds + 4 tbsp water)
80g frozen blueberries
What to do:
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl
- Mix together the almond milk and egg equivalent, starting with 150mL almond milk as the exact amount depends on the type of protein powder you use
- Add this to the dry ingredients, adding more almond milk if needed
- Stir in the frozen blueberries
- Add about half the mixture to your waffle maker at a time
- Top with more berries, nut butters, syrup… anything you like!