There are two reasons I’ll never have a six-pack, and one of them is bread. I love bread. A lot. Well, I love really good quality fancy farmers market sourdough bread. I’m a bit of a bread snob, and proud.
Seriously though, bread is incredible and so versatile, and has been demonised way too much in the past. From carb-shaming to bloggers claiming everyone should go gluten-free for no good reason. I for one have had enough, and shall share my love of bread proudly.
I remember I used to take a sandwich to school for my packed lunch every day, often featuring avocado (I was so ahead of the game). If you’re feeling tired of the standard avocado toast, then I recommend this to you: avocado chickpea smash. By mixing chickpeas and avocado you get an awesome combination of carbs, fats, and plant protein. It’s as simple and delicious as it sounds.
Makes 1 sandwich
2 slices of bread, whatever kind of bread floats your boat (I recommend sourdough obviously)
1/2 medium avocado
80g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp lime juice
Pinch of paprika
Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Toast the slices of bread ever so slightly, on the lowest setting
- In a bowl, mash together the avocado, chickpeas, and lime juice. Depending on the chickpeas it can be hard with a fork so go full on and use a potato masher if necessary
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and paprika
- Spread the smash thickly onto one of the slices of bread, and top with sliced tomato, spinach leaves, and the other slice of bread (or not if you want to keep it open)
- Any leftover smash can be stored in the fridge or added to a salad